Owning a solar car battery charger is great for ensuring your battery remains in top shape and adequately juiced up.
Compared to traditional car battery chargers, solar ones are more portable and are more convenient, and easier to use. Most of all, it’s eco-friendly, and the energy used to power them is sustainable as it comes from the sun.
If you’re in the market for a solar car battery charger, you’ve landed on the right page. Here, we’ve outlined our pick for the ten best solar car battery chargers, followed by a concise buying guide.
The Best Solar Car Battery Charger Reviews 2021
1. ECO-WORTHY 12V 10W Solar Car Battery Charger
Eco-Worthy is a famous manufacturer of residential and industrial solar power solutions.
The Eco-Worthy 12-volt is a versatile solar car battery charger and maintainer. Not only will it work for your car, but it also powers up boats, RVs, motorcycles, and even your lawnmower.
It has a built-in blocking diode, which protects the unit from overcharging and reverse discharge. This feature is great for extending the battery’s usage and ensuring a longer lifespan.
Like most products on this list, the Eco-Worthy is equipped with plug and play technology. A convenient SAE connector allows you to plug the unit onto your car’s cigarette lighter socket easily.
The Eco-Worthy also comes as a complete setup with everything you need. It comes with alligator clips for clamping onto your car’s batteries and suction cups for mounting onto the windshield.
Although water-resistant, it should be noted that the Eco-Worthy is not waterproof, which may be a setback for some. It can tolerate splashes of water. However, it cannot be used outdoors when it’s raining as the charge controller tends to leak in water.
Another more minor issue is that the wires somewhat easily disconnect.
Overall, the Eco-Worthy is a good option for a solar car battery charger dedicated to in-car or indoor use.
- Versatile 12-volt charger.
- Built-in reverse blocking diode.
- Plug and play technology.
- Comes as a complete setup.
- Water-resistant only, not waterproof.
- Wires tend to disconnect easily.
2. TP-solar 10 Watt 12 Volt Solar Panel Car Battery Charger (Budget Pick)
TP-Solar is an Amazon retailer of various solar power products and related accessories. Their most popular products include solar chargers, solar panels, solar lights, and cables and chargers.
The TP-Solar 12-volt is perfect for maintaining the batteries of your car, RV, boat, ATV, and any other vehicle. The best thing about this solar car battery charger is that it’s affordable yet packed with many features.
It’s extremely easy to use, thanks to its plug and play design. You simply plug it into your car’s cigarette lighter’s socket, and you should be good to go. It has an integrated indicator light design that lights up when the battery charger is in use.
The TP-solar car charger is extremely portable, weighing only 8.8 oz, and is 14.5 x 7.5 x 0.1 inch in dimensions. It can easily fit your windshield or be mounted on any other ideal location in the car, directly hit by sunlight.
Because it’s lightweight, it’s also easy to mount. It comes with the necessary equipment to do so. The package includes an extension cable, an alligator clip, an O-ring terminal, 4 suction cups, and 2 carabiner cups. This multitude of accessories allows you flexibility with your mounting options.
In terms of safety, this TP-Solar charger comes with a built-in circuit board. This feature prevents your battery from going into reverse discharge, especially during the night or the less sunny days. The same technology also prevents your overcharging of your car batteries.
This solar car battery charger is designed for lengthy use. It is waterproof and made of durable, high-quality materials.
The only thing we don’t like about the TP-Solar car battery charger is the suction cups included with it. They don’t really hold firmly, and we suggest either getting better-quality suction cups or using a different mounting option.
Overall, the TP-Solar 12-volt is the perfect balance between affordability and feature-richness, making it the top pick on our list.
- Affordable and jam-packed with features.
- 12-volt power ideal for maintaining a multitude of vehicles.
- Easy to use – plug and play design with indicator light.
- Portable and lightweight – 8.8 oz and 14.5 inches long.
- Easy to mount with flexible mounting options.
- Built-in circuit board to prevent reverse discharge and overcharging.
- Durable and waterproof.
- Suction cups need quality improvement.
3. ACOPOWER 12V 105W Solar Car Charger Kit (Upgrade Pick)
ACOPower is a Los-Angeles based company specializing in off-the-grid and portable power solutions. Their most popular products include solar panels, RV solar kits, solar generators, and other solar appliances.
Versatility is a standout feature of the ACOPower 12-Volt charger. It’s designed to be multi-purpose, to charge car batteries, smartphones, and other USB devices. It can also function as a power bank or generator.
Safety-wise, this all-you-need kit comes with a charge controller, which helps prevent overcharging and discharging.
Another great feature of this ACOPower charger is its efficiency. The solar panels comprise the world’s highest conversion efficiency module provider, with a conversion efficiency rating of up to 21.6%.
The ACOPower is very portable and lightweight. It weighs 7.9 lbs and folds into a briefcase-like design with convenient carry handles.
Setting up the devices is easy, thanks to its Velcro opening and three-leg stand design. The panels’ back is lined with pockets that conveniently hold the charge controller and other accessories needed.
If you haven’t already noticed above, this ACOPower solar panel kit comes with everything you need. It comes with solar panels, the charge controller, and the necessary connectors and adapters.
An obvious setback to this ACOPower kit is its price, set at the higher end of the spectrum. It cost 10 times as much as our first product on this list. If budget is not an issue, it may be worth the investment especially considering the above features.
In summary, if you’re looking for a feature-rich, multi-purpose solar car battery charger, the ACOPower 12-volt is the one to beat.
- Versatile and multi-purpose – use with car batteries, smart devices, and as a power bank or generator.
- Comes with a charge controller that enhances safety.
- Portable and lightweight – 7.9 lbs briefcase design.
- Extremely efficient – conversion efficiency rating of 21.6%.
- Easy setup – integrated stand legs and Velcro opening.
- Comes as a complete package.
- Expensive price point.
4. Aeiusny 12V Solar Trickle Charger for Car Battery
Aeiusny is an Amazon retailer specializing in portable and solar power technology. The Aeiusny is a 12-volt solar car battery charger is a trickle charger and maintainer in one.
First, the Aeiusny is extremely affordable, hence, earning the value pick on our list.
Despite its inexpensive price, the Aeiusny is extremely efficient. Its solar panels are made of monocrystalline silicon cell material that provides an ultra-high energy conversion rate of 20%.
The Aeiusny is also designed to be versatile, being able to charge any rechargeable 12-volt battery. Besides your car, you can use it to safely charge and maintain batteries on RVs, snowmobiles, boats, or tractors.
This Aeiusny solar car charger is equipped with a reverse diode. This feature prevents the solar battery from discharging back to the panels during the night. It’s also equipped with an indicator light showing you battery charge levels.
Another great design features are its plug-and-play design, making use extremely straightforward. All you need to do is plug it into your cigarette lighter socket, and it should work problem-free.
It’s also designed to be waterproof, which allows you to charge in any sort of weather.
Perhaps a setback of this Aeiusny solar car charger is its ring terminal connectors. It seems too small to fit the standard screw on the battery, effectively making the connectors unusable.
In summary, consider the Aeiusny if you’re looking for an extremely affordable solar car battery charger packed with essential features.
- Affordable, value-for-money.
- Versatile trickle charger and maintainer in one.
- An efficient conversion rate of 20%.
- Easy to use, plug-and-play design.
- Waterproof design.
- Integrated reverse diode for battery protection.
- Ring terminal connectors too small.
5. Sunway Solar Panel Car Battery Trickle Charger
Sunway Solar is an Amazon retailer of various portable solar solutions. Their products include solar chargers, extension cables, charge controllers, connectors, and more.
The Sunway Solar 5W is another 12-volt car battery charger that acts as a trickle charger and maintainer.
A selling point of Sunway Solar is its highly efficient solar cells. The panels are designed to efficiently charge the battery. To help indicate the battery’s function, it is equipped with a LED charge indicator.
It also comes with a built-in reverse blocking diode, which protects the batteries from reverse charging.
Like most of the chargers featured on this list, the Sunway Solar is also flexible in its use. You can use it to safely power up any 12-volt batteries. It can be used for motorcycles, boats, RVs, and any other vehicles.
Thanks to its one-way plug connector design, the Sunway Solar is super safe and easy to install. Simply plug it onto your car’s cigarette lighter to get it charging and prepare for use. The solar panels are also designed for easy mounting onto your car’s windshield or dashboard.
Finally, the Sunway Solar has a pretty good durable, and strong design. The battery charger comes covered with ultra-clear PV glass and an equally durable ABS plastic encasement. It’s both splash and waterproof, which makes it okay to use despite any sort of weather.
One big drawback to the Sunway Solar is its cables come with reverses polarity. This means that you have to be extremely careful when making connections. Ensure you check more than once that you have the right polarity before making your final connection.
Another thing needing improvement is its cables, which we think could be better when it’s thicker.
Overall, the Sunway Solar is a good option for an affordable solar car battery charger containing basic features.
- Highly efficient solar cells with LED charge indicator.
- Built-in reverse blocking diode.
- One-way plug connector design for easy setup.
- Durable, shockproof, and waterproof.
- Reversed polarity cables.
- Cables are thinly built.
6. SUNER POWER 12V Solar Car Battery Charger
Super Power is an American brand founded by a team of technicians. They specialize in the solar industry, with solar kits, solar battery chargers, solar power banks, and accessories.
Portability is the key feature of the Suner Power 12V solar car battery charger. It weighs only 2.73 lbs and is only 16.73 x 10.43 x 2.51 inches in dimensions. It’s the perfect size to fit small compartments in your car and is lightweight enough to carry along every time.
This 12-volt solar car battery charger has been tested under international standard test conditions ensuring its durability. The solar panels are made of highly efficient crystalline material with premium tempered glass encasement. It’s also made with an ABS frame, which ensures your solar charger lasts for years.
Safety-wise, the Suner Power solar car battery charger comes equipped with an integrated reverse blocking diode. If you don’t already know by now, it’s a key feature to have for car battery and solar charger’s sake. It protects the solar charger from overcharging and, at the same time, prevents battery leakage.
The Super Power is so easy to use. It doesn’t require complicated installations, nor does it require complex tools. It has a quick one-way connector for easy connecting and disconnecting. It saves you from having to figure out which end is positive and which one is negative. It also comes with a cigarette lighter cord that conveniently plugs into your cigarette lighter socket for quick setup.
One possible setback to the Suner Power charger is that it does take time to fully charge your battery. It takes around 12 hours to juice up your car battery fully, so you may need to be patient when charging.
Another thing is that the alligator clips that come with it could do with quality improvement. It does its job well; however, it doesn’t seem to last and is easily broken after a few uses.
Overall, if you want an ultra-portable solar car battery charger, the Super Power is a great option to have.
- Extremely portable and lightweight at only 2.73 lbs.
- Durable and long-lasting materials.
- Integrated reverse blocking diode.
- Easy to use and install.
- Relatively long charging time.
- Alligator clips could do with quality improvement.
7. MOOLSUN 12v Car Battery Solar Charger
Moolsun is another Amazon retailer of solar products and related accessories.
The Moolsun 12V solar battery charger is made of PET laminated and PVC fabric. This combination of materials makes it super portable and lightweight. In fact, its 0.86 lbs weight is what makes it stand out. You don’t have to worry about having little car space as the Moolsun is space-efficient. It doesn’t take up too much space, too, only measuring 15.59 x 6.97 x 0.19 inches.
Setting up is also straightforward with the Moolsun 12V solar battery charger. It comes with a plug and plays an SAE connector, eliminating the confusion between negative or positive ends.
You simply connect, plug it into your cigarette lighter socket, and it should be ready to use. It also comes with all the necessary accessories needed. It has two suction cups for mounting onto your windscreen or windows, a cigarette lighter plug, and alligator clips.
Not only is it easy to set up, but it’s also safe to use thanks to its integrated reverse blocking diode. This feature ensures protection from overcharging and battery leakage.
Last but definitely not least, the Moolsun charger has a durable built. It is made of waterproof material with a scratchproof solar panel surface.
One slightly major niggle with the Moolsun is its connector, which seems to have a tight fit. It still plugs in but tends to flex the plastic trim around the socket when plugged in. This means the trip may end up damaged easily.
Another thing that’s lacking is a charge indicator. The Moolsun doesn’t have a LED indicator to let you know if your solar charger is actually working or not.
All in all, if you want a super compact and portable solar car battery charger, the Moolsun is a top pick.
- Ultra-portable and lightweight at 0.86 lbs.
- Straightforward plug-and-play setup.
- Reverse blocking diode for safe charging.
- Durable and waterproof.
- The connector has an extremely tight fit.
- No LED light to indicate charging status.
8. PALADIN 12V 2.4W Solar Trickle Charger for Car Battery
Paladin is another Amazon retailer of solar-powered accessories, such as solar car battery chargers.
The Paladin Solar Car Battery Charger is a trickle charger and maintainer designed to power 12-volt batteries of various vehicles. It can power up cars, RVs, motorcycles, and many more.
What makes the Paladin stand out among similar products is that it comes in a pair of two solar panels. The great thing about this is that you will always have one solar panel fully charged and ready for use.
It’s also extremely compact, with dimensions of 12.7 x 9.6 x 0.6 inches. And yes, the entire package is extremely lightweight, with a total weight of only 4.2 lbs.
Installation is also hassle-free with the Paladin model as it comes with easy mounting suction cups for your dashboard or windshield.
Feel free to use the Paladin regardless of weather conditions. It is constructed of waterproof material that can withstand rain and other external elements.
Speaking of rain and other weather conditions, the Paladin is also reasonably efficient. Its equipped with solar panels that charge well despite low-light conditions. This means that you can still adequately harvest solar energy on cloudy days or during the winter, spring, or fall months.
The only thing we weren’t too impressed with the Paladin is its unconventional plug. It’s not like most of the devices on this list, so it does take time to figure out. But we do see this as a minor setback. As soon as you get used to it, it’s actually straightforward and shouldn’t be an issue in the long-term.
One other niggle is its slow charging and recharge time. But then again, this is pretty understandable considering they’re only 2.4-watt solar panels.
All in all, if you’re after a solar car battery charger with an added backup panel, the Paladin is a good option.
- Great emergency backup charger – comes with a pair of solar panels.
- Compact and lightweight.
- Hassle-free setup and installation.
- Waterproof and withstands external elements.
- Unconventional plug takes time to get used to.
- Slow charging time.
9. SUAOKI 12V Solar Car Battery Charger
Suaoki is yet again another Amazon retailer in the portable solar solution space. The Suaoki 12-V solar car battery charger comes as an 18-watt trickle solar panel charger. It has an impressively high solar cell efficiency of 22.5%.
The durability of materials is an impressive feature of the Suaoki. Apart from its water-resistant make, this solar car battery charger kit is also built using heat-resistant material. The combination of these two design features makes it suitable for long-term use.
It’s also super lightweight at only 0.76 lbs and measures relatively compact at 16.5 x 11 x 0.08 inches. It’s super easy to transport and fits even the tightest spaces of your vehicle.
Like most products on this list, the Suaoki comes backed with a built-in blocking diode. This feature ensures your batteries are protected from discharge, especially during the night when the charger’s voltage tends to be lower.
One issue we had with the Suaoki is it does have a high direct voltage output. It comes up to as much as 19V, which means that you risk overcharging your car battery. However, it’s not a big deal as you can always get a charge controller to regulate this for you. A charge controller is also relatively inexpensive, so again, it shouldn’t be much of an issue.
Another issue is minor and is more about the mounting. Although the solar panels come with pre-installed holes for mounting, the kit doesn’t come with anything else. It means you do have to purchase suction cups separately, but then again, these are relatively inexpensive.
In short, if efficiency is your top priority, the Suaoki solar car battery charger is a good option
- High solar cell efficiency at 22.5%.
- Durable – water and heat-resistant.
- Lightweight and portable – 0.76 lbs.
- Built-in reverse blocking diode.
- You may need to purchase a charge controller to prevent overcharging.
- No suction cups are included for mounting.
10. POWISER 10W 12V Solar Panel Car Battery Charger
Powiser is a Chinese manufacturer of solar-powered technologies and related accessories. Their products include solar panels, solar chargers, cables, and more.
The Powiser is a 12-volt charger with 10-watts of solar panel capacity. It comes with built-in indicator lights that change color to indicate battery status and/or charging function.
A winning feature of the Powiser solar battery charger is its built-in microprocessor. This integrated feature acts as a protective tool against overvoltage, overcharging, and short circuits. It also prevents reverse charging, making it safe and ideal for maintaining and charging 12V batteries.
The Powiser comes with a three-piece SAE cable kit, which makes it an easy plug-and-play device. This easy-to-use technology can be applied to cars, boats, snowmobiles, motorcycles, and so much more.
In terms of long-term use, the Powiser is made with durable, waterproof, and dustproof material. It’s also equipped with a bottom plate layered with an epoxy board for added strength and durability.
One drawback to the Powiser is that it does have to be exposed to maximum sunlight for it to charge. It doesn’t seem to charge well in low sunlight conditions or shadow blocking the sun’s rays.
One other thing is that the cables that come with it look fragile. Although they do function, it’s probably best to be cautious and avoid exposing them to direct sunlight to ensure longevity.
In summary, the Powiser is an affordable solar car battery charger choice, especially if you’re only after the most basic features.
- Built-in indicator lights for battery status monitoring.
- Integrated microprocessor for protection against any surge, overcharging, and reverse discharge.
- Plug-and-play technology for ease of use across multiple 12V batteries.
- Durable, waterproof, and dustproof solar panels.
- Needs maximum exposure to sunlight to work properly.
- Cable wires may need extra care as they seem to be fragile.
What to Consider When Buying a Solar Car Battery Charger
Solar car battery chargers have certain features to watch out for, and here are three of the most important ones.
- Efficiency is a key consideration in any solar-powered product, so much more with solar car battery chargers.
- The best solar car battery chargers are those that can still harness the sun’s energy despite not being exposed to direct sunlight all the time.
- Efficient solar car battery chargers can also power up during less sunny days, such as the winter months or on stormy, cloudy days.
- We recommend looking to choose a solar car battery charger with at least a 20% efficiency rating.
- Power is another key consideration, especially that car batteries’ power requirements are different from other devices. In most solar devices, the highest power is usually the most recommended. With solar car battery chargers, you want to find the perfect balance of power.
- Most solar battery chargers have powers that range between 2 to 18 volts, and anywhere between this range is fine. The lower ranges tend to charge slower but are safer for your battery as it doesn’t run the risk of overcharging. The higher ranges naturally tend to charge quicker, but the risk of overpowering is higher.
- In short, if you’re wanting fast charging, go for higher voltages but ensure that these have integrated overcharge protection. If you prefer the lower voltages, be prepared to be patient in waiting for a complete charge.
Reverse Blocking Diode
- A reverse blocking diode is a solar charger feature that basically enhances its safety and efficiency. It does this by ensuring that solar energy collected is retained even when the charger isn’t in use. It also protects energy from leaking even if the battery hasn’t been used for quite a while. Because you normally wouldn’t need to frequently charge your car battery, this feature is important. The last thing you want is a drained solar car battery charger when you need it the most.
- Don’t be confused when you see product descriptions stating “reverse charge blocking diode.” This is just another term for a reverse blocking diode, but it’s definitely the same feature.
Solar Car Battery Charger Frequently Asked Questions
Are there different solar car battery charger types?
- Solar car battery chargers come in two forms.
- The first is a solar car battery maintainer. Car batteries need to maintain an optimum level of electricity in them. As the name implies, the solar car battery maintainers function to maintain the battery’s power level. This is especially useful in instances where your vehicle is parked for a long time. The solar battery maintainer‘s role in this instance is to keep your vehicle from completely losing charge.
- The second type is the solar car battery charger. These are generally meant to be stronger as they can fully charge car batteries instead of maintaining their existing level. They also generally tend to charge your car batteries quicker. These types of batteries are ideal for use when you’re on the road in remote areas where a power source is difficult to come across.
Why should I buy a solar car battery charger?
- Solar car battery chargers have many benefits. The most important of them are described below.
- Solar chargers are eco-friendly and sustainable energy sources as they have no harmful emissions, and they harvest their energy solely from the sun.
- Solar car battery chargers prolong your car’s battery life by maintaining it at its optimum charge levels and preventing it from completely discharging.
- Solar car batteries are convenient. You can store them in your car for use when needed, anytime, and anywhere.
- Because they get their power from the sun, solar chargers do not have ongoing costs.
Do solar car battery chargers work even when it’s cloudy?
- The answer is both yes and no. There is no clear black and white answer to this as it all really depends on the charger’s make.
- Most solar car battery chargers are equipped with intelligent technology that allows the solar panels to charge despite low sunlight. However, some do not work in low sun conditions. Some solar panels do not charge during winter, fall, or even when shadows block direct exposure to sunlight.
A solar car battery charger is a great back up gear to have in your car at all times. It’s useful in maintaining your car’s optimum battery levels, which effectively ensures that your car always performs in top condition.
Our favorite for the best solar car battery charger is the ECO-WORTHY 12V 10W Solar Car Battery Charger. It’s easy and safe to use, portable and has an ample power level and efficiency. It also comes with accessories for a hassle-free setup. To top it all off, it comes at a price point that won’t break the bank.